Pediatrician for Teenagers in Port Matilda, PA
We are committed to enhancing the health and well-being of adolescents and young adults. Let’s benefit from our board-certified pediatrician, Dr. Daniel Olivero, MD., for your teenage kids at Olivero Pediatrics in Port Matilda, PA. Our professionals are trained to see adolescents. We are conveniently located at 1243 Skytop Mountain Rd. Suite 4, Port Matilda, PA 16870. For more information, please call us or request an appointment online.
Table of Contents:
Should a teenager see a pediatrician?
What questions do pediatricians ask teenagers?
What are the benefits of visiting a pediatrician for teens?
Pediatricians play an important role in the health and wellness of teenagers. Throughout adolescence, the body goes through many changes; some of the most significant changes occur throughout this period of maturation. A healthy balance is critical for a teenager’s wellness, as they must have the opportunity to develop and mature physically and emotionally. Having a good relationship with a pediatrician during this time is important, as it provides teenagers with a familiar and trusted professional whom they can turn to when experiencing problems with their health and development.
Yes, teenagers should see a pediatrician, as these medical professionals are the most experienced when caring for the health of adolescents. It is recommended that all adolescents visit their pediatrician at least once during their teenage years, although some teenagers may require more frequent visits. For example, adolescents with a chronic condition such as diabetes require close monitoring to ensure their condition is under control. Furthermore, adolescents should see a pediatrician when they are sick or injured; pediatricians can provide the highest level of care for acute health concerns.
In fact, during the teenage years, the body goes through many changes; sometimes these changes require medical attention. Pediatricians have advanced knowledge in this area and are experienced in handling adverse health concerns related to the bodily changes of puberty and sexual maturation.
Pediatric healthcare visits are incredibly important for adolescents to live a good quality of life. Pediatricians often ask a series of questions to better understand the health of their patients. Sometimes these questions can make teenagers feel uncomfortable, which is why parents are often asked to leave the room to facilitate more open and honest communication between the pediatrician and the teenager. Everything teenagers discuss privately with a healthcare professional will remain confidential, unless they say they want to hurt themselves, hurt someone else, or if someone is hurting them. During these confidential interviews, doctors ask a number of different questions, such as:
– How are you doing in school?
– What activities do you like?
– Do you have suicidal thoughts?
– Do you feel safe at home, at school, in romantic relationships, and with friends?
A clinician may also ask your teen about their:
– Eating behaviors
– Sexual activity
– Drug and alcohol use
Pediatricians provide a long list of incredible benefits for children of all ages, including teenagers. Some of the most prevalent benefits include:
– Preventative Care — A visit to a pediatrician covers things like home and school safety, nutrition, behavior, and exercise, all things that can improve health and prevent disease.
– Early Detection — The body goes through many changes during adolescence, and teens are not always sure what to look for as far as signs of potential trouble. This is why having a pediatrician is so beneficial because they can detect early warning signs of subtle and easily missable diseases.
– Address Concerns — These visits provide an opportunity for teenagers to address concerns like anger, sleep disturbances, poor diet, and developmental issues.
– Full Coverage — Along with normal illnesses and injuries, pediatric visits allow teens and young adults to address things like sexual behavior, mental health issues, and substance abuse problems.
– Education — Since pediatric visits extend to the age of 21, they provide a platform for older teens and young adults to make wise choices regarding their health, such as how to practice safe sex, how to exercise properly, and what foods provide the most benefits to health.
At Olivero Pediatrics, our pediatrician can help your teenager live a better quality of life. Call us today or book an appointment with our pediatrician for teenagers, or visit our clinic conveniently located at 1243 Skytop Mountain Road, Suite 4, Port Matilda, PA 16870. We serve patients from Port Matilda PA, Waddle, PA, Julian PA, State College PA, Bellefonte PA, Pennsylvania Furnace PA, and Pine Grove Mills PA. We look forward to serving you!